Monday, October 27, 2008

Crispy Tofu "Egg"

I had a block of pressed tofu that was threatening to go bad on me (how can you tell? Just before it starts to turn, it'll smell faintly of corn. *cue "The More You Know" logo*). I wished for an egg sammich but since none was forthcoming I sliced this stuff up and threw in a little bit of whatever sounded good from my cabinets. Oh man. I've never tried this combination of spices before, but I loved it! They turned out so crispy-crunchy and good. I stacked three of them up on half a warm, buttered roll and ate them for breakfast. That's some good noms.

Crispy Tofu "Egg"

1 block extra firm tofu, pressed

1/4 tsp fenugreek powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp turmeric (just a pinch or two for color)
1/2 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper
sesame oil
1 T vegetable oil

Slice tofu brick in half width-wise, then cut each half into 4 thin slices across making 8 thin, flat tofu slices, roughly 2"x3". Put in a large ziploc bag and pour in a few drops of sesame oil and about 1 T. or so of vegetable oil and toss to coat on all sides. Next, mix together a few pinches of each spice. (I listed measurements here but really, it's not rocket surgery. Just use a little of everything!) Toss spices in with the tofu, again making sure all slices are evenly coated. Place in a medium-hot frying pan and cook for 5-8 minutes on each side, or until crispy and browned.

Serve hot with whole-grain rolls and a side of grilled asparagus.

No comments: